Pasta with Asparagus, Sugar Snap Peas, Fresh Herbs, and Parmesan
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound bowtie, penne, or orrechiete pasta
- 1/2 pound trimmed sugar snap peas or snow peas
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons each chopped fresh Italian parsley, dill and chives
- Additional freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook asparagus briefly in a large pot of boiling salted water. When crisp-tender (depends on size), place in a bowl of cold water using a slotted spoon. Cool and drain.
- Cook the pasta to al dente stage in the same pot of water.
- Add peas and boil 2 minutes.
- Add asparagus back in and heat through.
- Drain well.
- Return pasta-vegetable mixture to pot, and add chopped herbs and toss. Add oil and toss to coat.
- Add 1/2 cup of cheese and toss lightly.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately, passing additional cheese separately.