- 1 medium to large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh tomatillos, husked and quartered
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 4 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons green chilies, either fresh roasted or canned Anaheims
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cups almonds, either ground or slivered
- Salt, to taste
- 3-4 cups of cooked, chopped turkey, chicken or pork
- Sour cream and more chopped cilantro for garnish
Cook the onion and garlic in the oil until soft.
Add the tomatillos and chicken broth and cook, uncovered, until the tomatillos are soft.
Place the mixture in a blender and puree.
Return to the stove and add all remaining ingredients except the almonds.
Simmer and reduce to about 2-1/2 cups.
Taste and add salt if needed.
Add almonds and the cooked meat and heat thoroughly.
Garnish with a dollop of sour cream and more chopped cilantro.