Tuna Steaks with Garlic, Tomatoes, Capers, and Basil
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup (loosely packed) fresh basil leaves
- 1-1/2 tablespoons capers, rinsed, drained
- 4 5- to 6-ounce ahi tuna steaks (each about 1 inch thick)
- Heat 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions; sauté until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic; sauté until golden, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, basil, and capers. Simmer uncovered until mixture thickens, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 3 tablespoons oil in another heavy large skillet over medium heat. Sprinkle fish with salt and pepper.
- Add fish to skillet and cook until light brown at edges but pink in center, about 3 minutes per side.
- Pour in tomato mixture. Simmer until fish is opaque in center, about 5 minutes longer.
- Serve fish immediately.